Thursday 31 March 2016

Justification for our hobby











You guys! I just figured out the perfect comparison that makes justifying the cost of riding so much easier!

I'm sure we've all felt guilty or felt the need to defend our expensive hobby at one time or another, either to ourselves or to others. Some parts are easier to explain, like we buy show clothes instead of fancy designer jeans, or we choose to spend the weekend at a riding clinic instead of a ski trip. But there's always still the unavoidable fact that we spend hundreds of dollars every month on food and board for our horses and that's a cost we can't skip for a month or easily reduce.


I've heard horse board compared to other sports with monthly costs, like golf memberships, or paying for a spot in a marina for a boat, but that doesn't quite work either. For one, green fees or marina rental isn't usually year-round. Second, comparing having a horse to having a boat doesn't exactly help change the image of a horse being a luxury that only the rich can afford.

Turns out, comparing riding to other sports isn't the answer, we need to compare riding to other addictions! Namely smoking!

Hear me out:

In Alberta right now, an average 25 pack of cigarettes costs $14.66. For a pack-a-day smoker, that ends up being $5,351 over the course of a year, or $446/month. For many people, that's more than the cost of board! Depending on your level of board and location, you may even be able to include your farrier and vet costs into that number.

So, the next time someone asks how you afford to have a horse, just say that it costs about the same amount as being a smoker!

This comparison doesn't end with money. You can use it to defend almost any facet of your riding:

"Riding is dangerous" - yes, I might fall and injure myself, but it's better for you than smoking!


"You smell when you get home from the barn" - which would you prefer, eau de cheval or tobacco smoke?

If you both smoke and ride horses, unfortunately this comparison doesn't work so well. In that case you should clearly give up smoking and stick to the horse addiction (and come on, it's not like giving up nicotine is hard or anything...)

Now go forth and buy that bridle or pair of boots you've been coveting, guilt-free! Muahaha

12 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I've been averaging that cost just in vet and farrier expenses...my horse loves the vet a little too much. :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Sorry to hear that. In hindsight I really shouldn't have even mentioned including vet costs, those are far too unpredictable!

      Delete
    3. I thought this was hysterical and will totally use it (and pretend that the vet bills don't exist). :D

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I feel like I just achieved a previously unknown life goal of mine to have something I wrote be described as "fabulous" so thank you! =D

      Delete
  3. This is legit.

    Every once in a while, I take a couple days off from the barn, usually in the dead of winter. It takes like 12 hours for hubs to be like PLEASE GO SEE YOUR HORSE BECAUSE YOU ARE COMPLETELY CRAZY.

    Because yeah, I reorganized the whole garage in like 4 hours and was still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling. Sometimes when life and work is stressing me out, I don't get out to the barn, but then that makes me so much more stressed out. Whenever I finally get to ride it's like "ahhh, this is what I needed". It's an addiction I never plan to quit

      Delete
  4. I like the comparison! I feel like it's cheaper than therapy...and I get exercise. So that's a win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! The fact that riding can count as exercise/therapy/addiction/entertainment/social life/etc. really makes the benefits add up

      Delete
  5. So people who ride and smoke would be really rich if they quit both? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would be so rich! Actually if you conservatively say that someone spent $5400/year on smokes + $5400/year on horses, if they instead put that money into a savings account at an average of 5% interest, they would have over half a million dollars in 25 years!

      But... why would anyone want to quit horses?? haha

      Delete