Monday 29 May 2017

Blog Hop: May 10 Questions

I have several posts I want to do about my recent show and clinic and other stuff, but they are all long posts that need some work and photos to be coherent, so for now a quick and easy one! The blog hop that's been going around from https://thehorseisnotblack.wordpress.com/2017/05/11/come-what-may-10-questions/

1. What are your summer goals?
I want to finally get my canter transition under control and be able to do a training level test without embarrassing myself. This sounds so incredibly basic but it has been a real challenge to make happen. This summer it's time.

2. Do you have any tips or tricks for fly control?
Like a lot of people, I use flyspray regularly with questionable efficacy. My area isn't super bad for bugs, especially if you avoid riding near dawn or dusk, but it's still a struggle sometimes and I have no special advice.
She does have a flysheet she wears during the worst part of summer

3. How often do you bathe your horse?
Mostly just before shows, so about 3x/year. We don't have a proper wash rack, just a flat dirt patch outside near the well water pump, and the water is really cold, so I can only do it in good weather and when I have lots of time.

That one time she was clean, it really is a rare occurrence 

4. Do you have any upcoming travel plans? Equine related or otherwise?
Next weekend I am going to Calgary to scribe at the Gold dressage show. I have a few shows and clinics planned for within a 4 hour radius, but that's about it.

5. What is your favorite way to beat the heat?
Embrace it. In the winter my body is accustomed to a certain temperature range, and then every summer it needs to recondition to a new temperature range. I find that it helps me a lot if I just embrace the heat during the first hot spell, it's like it flips the switch quicker and then I'm good until the fall. A few weeks ago I spent 8 hours driving when my car's A/C was broken and outside temp was 34C (93F). I think it's safe to say that I have adapted. Disclaimer: while we get hellish hot here, my area does have low humidity, so that helps.

6. Do you do anything to prevent your horse from sunbleaching?
No. I would like if my black and white horse stayed black and white (both colours tend to go brown =P), but the fact is that I'm not willing to compromise her ability to be a horse by keeping her inside or covered. I do however try every year to keep her white nose from getting sunburnt by using long flymasks and baby sunscreen, it's an uphill battle though (she does have a shelter, but she will stand in there with her head out in the sun)
 
She was not impressed with me

7. How hot is too hot for you to ride?
I would say 38C or higher (100F+), that's not a hard and fast rule, but at those temps I would certainly take it easier.

8. How important is sun protection for you riding or just in general? 
I'm aware of the sun, but I'm not super diligent about protection. I'm lucky to have skin that tends to tan more than burn. On super sunny days or days that I'm outside for longer, I will cover up or use sunscreen, but I can frequently get by for a couple hour trip to the barn without.

9. Have you ever gone swimming with your horse?
I've done deep river crossings with her (saddle pad deep), but never actual swimming. I would like to try, but since I've never done it before I would want to have good controlled circumstances in case anything went wrong (steady depth increase, no current, solid footing below, people to go with, etc.)

She doesn't mind water

10. What's on your summer wish list?
Well I may have just splurged on a fleece girth cover and a matchy matchy saddle pad/fly veil/polo set. I also really want a new stock tie as mine is plain as can be, but I can't decide which one! Anyone have any favorite stock tie brands to suggest?

2 comments:

  1. I love your summer goals! If you're in Calgary next weekend we should grab drinks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous that you get heat without the humidity! haha. I can't wait to see your matchy matchy set, obviously that's something I enjoy ;)

    ReplyDelete